A. The Natural Piggery Farming is a production technique that uses feeds with no growth promotants, no antibiotics, and no animal by-products, ensures animal welfare and protects the environment and public health. It is a system that supports the natural behaviour of pigs, emits less bad odor, and provide healthy pork. The natural piggery system focuses on three things – natural feed, housing and animal welfare:
- Natural feed – no growth hormones, no antibiotics, no mammalian or avian by-product.
- Housing – uses indigenous materials that simulate natural environment of pigs. The pen uses bamboo, small quantity of concrete hallow blocks, nipa, cogon, grass and rice hull or organic materials for bedding. The roof height is adjusted to ensure sunlight penetration.
- Animal welfare – pigs has enough space so they can freely move and play. A wallowing pond may be provided to support their need to bath regularly. It has provision for unlimited clean and safe drinking water.
A. Intensive farming generates food cheaply but on the negative side results to hidden cost to the society and to the environment. The trend towards producing pigs in a commercial scale had affected our environment and public health. According to World Bank, animal waste is one of the major contributors to greenhouse gases in the Philippines. Today, with natural farming, we will be able to achieve the following results:
- Environmental preservation/ Mitigation of harmful environmental effects
- Health Protection for both human and animals
- Food security and safety (no chemicals)
- Implementation of Animal welfare standards
- ocial and Economic benefits
- Sustainable livelihood
A. Anyone who is in the business of pig production and its allied industries, as well as service providers and consumers may join the movement. The members are enjoined to practice natural piggery farming and patronize natural pork products.
A. The NPM will provide information, technology, training, discounts and market access for its members. The cohesive single voice of NPM aims to create a special demand for the naturally-farmed pigs that will command higher market price in the future.
A. All you have to do is click this link, fill up the application form then press submit.
- Go to http://naturalpiggery.org/become-a-member/ if the link does not work.
A. You may contact NPM through:
- Email: email@example.com
- mobile (Globe): (63) 0917-9946415
- mobile (Smart): (63) 0949-3138742